Monday 11 January 2016

How I got started: It's All About Food

The first time I heard about the Paleo Diet from a coworker, I was completely skeptical; eating like cave men made absolutely no sense to me! Just because foods were added into our diet through the centuries (like so many other things that have changed since their time) didn't mean that they were negative or less healthy. I dismissed it in an instant, and never thought twice.

Then a good friend of mine mentioned that she was starting another diet. Now diets had only a sliver more credibility in my mind since I had seen countless friends starve and neglect themselves for a few days in the name of 'health' only to binge on all of the worst food around as soon as their wills broke! There are so many fads and theories which contradict each other and accomplish little more than depression and will-breaking.

But this friend was smart, athletic and she was very confident that this was not just a fad or anything like other diets. Since I am undeniably unhealthy, and had a desire to treat my body like the temple that it actually is, I decided to find the book behind the diet - with all of the science-y stuff my Biology-head loves!

And then I opened, 'It Starts With Food'. Everything I knew about hormones and building-blocks was changed. It turns out that an unhealthy body doesn't respond to food the same way a healthy body would, and that our processed, sugary foods are creating chaos inside. Leptin Resistance is the one thing that surprised me the most -perhaps I should have pursued my Biology Degree a little further!
'Normally, when you've accumulated adequate body fat, your fat cells send a message (via leptin) to your brain that says, 'Hey, we've got enough energy stored, so you should eat less and move more.' But when receptors in the brain and other tissues become less sensitive to leptin, those messages don't get through. Your brain doesn't hear leptin say that you've got enough body fat stored" (pg. 46, 'It Starts with Food').
The program claims that 'By the time the program is over, you'll know in no uncertain terms which foods are improving the quality of your life and which are detracting from your health' (pg. 13, 'It Starts with Food'). Through the book, they, 'show you how to break free of unhealthy cravings, restore your body's natural hunger mechanism, eat to satiety while still loosing weight, and eliminate the symptoms of any number of lifestyle-related diseases and conditions - forever" (pg. 14, 'It Starts with Food').

So once I realized that just eating healthier, or more moderately wasn't going to work because my body and emotions were working against me, I decided to give this Whole30 a go! I am strong willed and stubborn, so it totally worked to my advantage that the first 30 days are black and white on what you can eat.

The book is so good, I could quote every word, but I found a 60 second summary about Nutrition and Whole30 on The Whole9 website: Nutrition in 60 seconds

WHOLE30 = Animal Protein + Lots of Vegetables + High-Quality Fat + Seasonings

The NEW Recipe Book with all of the Whole30 details!
It was actually 25 days before Easter last year that I began my first Whole30. I was so reluctant to not just wait the 25 days and enjoy Easter festivities whole-hog. But as I was reading through the book, I couldn't put my health off any longer. I managed to enjoy the feast, avoiding non-compliant foods and just appreciate the transformation that I was seeing in my body!

It's not easy, and everyone knows that. Here's the Timeline for what the average person experiences while on Whole30.



In my experience I never hit the energy boost most people see about half-way through. I did feel things changing, but much slower. I think that I have a lot of tings going on inside that need to heal and that my body wasn't there quite yet. Reluctantly, I am convinced that I need to do a Whole60 and see how things improve with a continued dedication to my health and wellness.

So after my first Whole30 I observed these non-scale victories:

- I was able to enjoy a meal with friends while passing over corn chips, pita bread, Bailey's, and cheesecake and it got easier the more often we got together!
- I discovered other foods which I loved, and healthier snacks for when spending time with friends - fallen in love with vegetables and learned to love kale
- actually did something for 30 days with no cheats
- I exposed cravings for just empty promises which were not worth pursuing
- plus I had lost 10 pounds!

My love for coffee was developed as dairy and alternatives were cut out
I shared this thought at the end of my Whole30:
"I find that I eat when I'm not hungry (like while playing [board] games, or watching a movie), I think that fulfilling my cravings will make my life better, and that i deserve a treat. All are proven false when you step away from the situation and think about it logically. And just reminding myself of the truth and finding my solutions in prayer and healthy relationships is so much better! Loosening the power of temptation and idolatry is NECESSARY and I am not sacrificing ANYTHING - really. But it's not easy!"

Actually, I felt things changing, but I knew that there was more health that would come if I were just to pursue it a bit longer. However, emotionally it was taxing and while observing excess weight leave and feeling more energy starting, I was getting a bit depressed and couldn't think about anything other than the new La Boulange pastries in our cafe! So, I decided to take a short break from my quest, and started up a Whole45 on April 22nd. These two consecutive Whole30 stints really changed my appetites, energy, weight, and determination. I couldn't wait to eliminate all of the problematic foods from my diet again in the fall and see how food affects my mood, allergies, and energy!

So beginning January 15th, I will embark on my 4th Whole30, for 60 days!


2 comments :

  1. Wonderful, so proud and excited for what's coming for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle!
    I don't know where this blog and the Whole30 will take me, but I am excited to share my thoughts and to focus on my health once again!

    ReplyDelete